Friday, September 25, 2009

Vegan Ginger Peach Pancakes



They don’t call ‘em hot cakes for nothin’.
These spicy, vegan pancakes are so satisfying, you don’t even have to be a PETA member to applaud them. One bite, and you’ll know the true meaning of ‘cruelty-free’.

I took a basic vegan pancake recipe, added fresh peaches and heated things up with ground ginger and cardamom. There’s such deep flavor and moist texture going on here, you won’t even miss the egg, milk and butter. I used soymilk and canola oil, but you can use butter or real milk if you like. If you think cardamom is too exotic for breakfast, then feel free to use cinnamon and/or nutmeg instead. I cut the peaches into decent-sized chunks, but you can dice them however fine you want. Just wait 'til that spicy ginger co-mingles with the sweet, juicy peaches and warm maple syrup. Yowza!

Recipe

1 cup flour

1 TBSP sugar

2 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

1 cup soymilk

2 TBSP vegetable oil

1½ TBSP ground ginger

¼ tsp ground cardamom

1½ cups diced fresh peaches

Makes about 3 servings

Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir until mixed well. Add the soymilk and vegetable oil; mix until smooth. Stir in the cut-up peaches. Heat a greased griddle over medium heat. Using a serving spoon, drop about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the griddle to form each pancake. Cook over medium heat, and turn the pancakes when golden brown. Repeat until batter is gone. Serve with real maple syrup.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds very tasty! I enjoy dishes with ginger in them, but have not been very adventurous with it myself, as I'm afraid of getting the quantities wrong and being overpowered. Will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been obsessed with pancakes lately. I'm roaming the web to find more and more vegan pancake recipes that take the reality of a pancake and make it soar! Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for an excuse to blow $5 on a packet of ground cardamom, and I sure love peaches and spicy goodness. I'm going to try this out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im going to be wild and have this for dinner tonight, it sounds so good I have some peaches calling to be pancaked!

    Being vegan is so exciting, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I made this recipe this morning. The taste of the pancakes is awesome, but they were too wet. I am going to try again cooking longer over lower heat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the anonymous poster from above. Thought I should post an update. I kept working with this recipe until I found the right flour to use. Now the peach pancakes are perfect! I am using Bisquick Gluten Free flour. I think the first gluten free flour mix I used was the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. Glad it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that the 1 1/2 ground ginger was way too much that started to burn our stomach but other than that the ingredients were great just the ginger part :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll try making it again. I posted this so long ago, my diet has changed to GF, and I would use coconut oil.

      Delete
  9. I only had canned peaches but these pancakes turned out so delicious! Very good,ThankYou

    ReplyDelete