Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble




Don’t make me choose between a galette and a crumble.
Pies, tarts, galettes, cobblers, crisps, crumbles, cakes, breads, muffins—and if I’m leaving anything out that I could fill with fruit, I beg of you—please don’t tell me. Because now that it’s rhubarb season, it’s hard to decide what to make. And since I’m the queen of indecision, rather than make a decision, I made two desserts. Both with strawberries and rhubarb.

First I embarked on a strawberry rhubarb galette (recipe to come in my next post) since I had a tart dough in the freezer from when I made my Seductive Leek and Mushroom Tart (why I call one a tart and another a galette is beyond me. Yes, the leek and mushroom one is technically a galette. Just go with it.). Then I decided (yes, a decision!) to make this strawberry and rhubarb crumble from Bon Appetit. It’s not just your standard crumble, though. It has an oat and hazelnut streusel topping. But the toasted hazelnuts have so much personality, I think they compete a little for the strawberry rhubarb's starring role. Next time I may use roasted almonds or walnuts instead for a more subtle performance.

I can humbly say that the crumble and galette were both winners. But please don’t go all Sophie’s Choice on me and force me to pick a favorite. How can I choose between a flaky, buttery crust and a sweet mélange of oats and hazelnuts? Which one would Meryl Streep choose? I don't know, but I’m sure her strawberry rhubarb accent would sound much more authentic than mine. But then that’s why she’s Meryl Streep and I’m the queen of indecision.

Recipe (from Bon Appetit)

8 servings

Ingredients

3/4 cup all purpose flour

2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar

Large pinch of salt

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup husked hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped

1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

1 pound strawberries, hulled, halved (about 4 cups)

12 ounces rhubarb (preferably bright red), ends trimmed, stalks cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces

Vanilla ice cream

Preparation

Combine flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Add butter. Rub in with fingertips until mixture sticks together in clumps. Mix in oats and nuts. DO AHEAD Topping can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; whisk to blend well. Add strawberries and rhubarb to sugar in bowl; toss to coat well. Scrape fruit filling into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle oat topping evenly over filling.

Bake crumble until filling bubbles thickly and topping is crisp, about 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes. Spoon warm crumble into bowls. Serve with ice cream.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/05/strawberry_and_rhubarb_crumble#ixzz0qlqySbB1

7 comments:

  1. I don't really want to choose either ... but that oaty crumble is seriously persuasive! I like the way you think with the two desserts rather than the choice ... the strawberries are so yummy right now, the more the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh...I love anything with rhubarb in it. But that crumble is especially enticing, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm leaning toward the crumble too! (I'll probably want the galette when I see that picture.) Why decide when you can have both? I actually have neither and wish you were my neighbor to share a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey what about Betty's and Buckle's aren't they like a crumble? They are certainly no galette! GREG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks incredible. I like the hazelnuts in the crumble topping! Now if only I could stop myself from eating all the strawberries before I have the chance to make something with them....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's not forget the slump or grunt (whichever you prefer to call it). Get your mind out of the gutter (we can come back to that later ;) )Just thought I'd throw that out there for more fruitful(l) indecision.

    Sorry, I need more coffee.

    I'll trade you one crumble for more scones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I can picture the joy of eating this still warm, the tanginess of the fruit, the crunch of the hazelnuts, and a little whipped cream on the side. Plus a great cup of coffee with it of course. Pure delight.

    ReplyDelete