Friday, June 29, 2012

The Stewed Okra Blues

Lentil: What’s wrong?

Okra: Nobody likes me.

Lentil: I do. You were one of my momma’s most savory side dishes.

Okra: But you’re from Texas. Everyone else thinks I’m a slimy hick.

Lentil: Well don’t just stew about it. Embrace your slime. Own it!

Okra: I do have this song...

Lentil: Sing it, Okra. Sing it!

The Stewed Okra Blues

I’m seedy and slimy
But baby you should try me
I’m such an easy roll in the pan

Sautée me and stew me
You know you wanna do me
I’ll satisfy more than your man

I ain’t white trash, but I heard Johnny Cash
Loved me more than his ol’ gal, June
Like her sweet succotash, she cooked me in a flash
And served me with some fried raccoon

I’m slimy and seedy
But baby I ain’t needy
You can leave me all alone to braise

Stew me and sautée me
But don’t you dare fillet me
I’m goin’ through a vegan phase

Now listen up, you haters
Grab some peppers and tomaters
I’m a little sweet ‘n sour
You don’t need no oil and flour
Don’t fry me, I’m slimy, just try me

I’m so thick ‘n chunky when I’m stewed
I’m a hot ‘n hunky southern dude
Why me? I’m slimy, just try me

I may lead a life of slime
But I’m delicious and I rhyme
Buy me, I’m slimy, just try me

© 2012 Adair Seldon


The Stewed Okra Recipe

1 small onion, diced

1 medium pepper, diced (I used yellow for color, but the traditional is green)

1 ½ - 2 stalks of celery, sliced

3/4 lb okra, sliced

14 oz. can of stewed or diced tomatoes*

1 tsp brown sugar

Salt and pepper to taste

Sautée onions until a little brown. Add pepper and celery. Sautee 5 - 7 more minutes. Add okra and sautée 5 more minutes. Add tomatoes and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes. Add salt, pepper and brown sugar, and cook until okra and celery are fork-tender done but not mushy. Adjust seasonings if necessary and serve.

*I used Muir Glen Organic Fire-roasted Diced Tomatoes.


Lentil’s Breakdown

Canned tomatoes giving you the BPA blues? With their high acid content, they’re one of the worst offenders for Bisphenol A exposure—a known endocrine disruptor. The majority of canned goods in the U.S. are still sealed with resin that contains BPA to prevent contamination and spoiling, but some manufacturers like Muir Glen and Trader Joe’s are going BPA-free. If the can is white inside, it’s got a BPA lining; a bright golden color inside means it’s BPA-free.

Related Link:

Nopales Cactus Salad (with Cahones)

12 comments:

  1. I L O V E okra, even though I am not from Texas! :-)
    My favorite dish is southern-fried okra, but I like them any which way they are prepared.

    Thank you for the information about BPA in canned goods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your okra song!

    I've been avoiding canned tomatoes all together and buying glass jars, from Italy no less. Cost Plus has Mutti brand and I find others at many "international" grocery stores around LA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Merisi, you're welcome about the BPA. :)
    Hi Chrisina: I don't use a lot of canned tomatoes, but since I did a little research for this, I am really going to try to avoid BPA in general. Here are a few helpful links I found:

    BPA-free Canned Food Options:
    http://guide.thesoftlanding.com/bpa-free-canned-food-options/

    A list of cans with BPA:
    http://www.inspirationgreen.com/bpa-lined-cans.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Props for rhyming "tomaters" with "haters."
    I'm pretty sure that's a poetry first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know what tune I should sing this to, although I tried it with a rap rhythm and that worked also. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze me. As an okra fan, I applaud your efforts. And your lyrical ability!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a problem with the slime in okra. Your song is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE okra, and I'm always taken aback when I hear people say they hate it (Dorothy!)-but then -you know- I'm from Louisiana. I do know this. If you cook it to death, like we Southerners do, it eventually loses its slime, but not its unique flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can get down on some okra too. Thanks for a great post. Miss you. Let's catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your song. You need to start uploading youtube videos. I do hate okra...one day, i will be open minded. I really really really really appreciate your BPA note at the end. I had NO IDEA. Now i'm going to inspect my pantry. Actually your note has me freaking out a bit b/c i rely on canned tomatoes so much. FREAKING OUT. i'm blaming any current or future medical condition on this. for sure.

    ReplyDelete