Apply colors and fire up the kiln.
Add black until they're charred, blistered and soft.
Let sweat for 20 minutes.
When cool, strip away the outer layer of paint.
Stand back and admire your work.
Build mixed media installation by arranging them in flat rows between sheets of wax paper. Place in container and freeze.
- Orange or red Hatch chiles are riper than green ones.
- You can roast chiles on an outdoor grill, broiler, grill pan, or roast over an open flame on the stove.
- I prefer to let the warm chiles sweat in a paper bag rather than plastic, so the toxins from the hot plastic don’t leach into the chiles.
- For a good tutorial, see How to Roast Hatch Chiles at Shockingly Delicious (but use paper bag).
- Hatch chiles from New Mexico are available from Melissa’s Produce.