Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgivukkah Miracle-of-Light Green Beans



This year I'm thankful for not having to eat that heavy, old-school green bean casserole. Sure, I liked it when I was 12, but I also loved Bazooka bubble gum and Danny Partridge. Now that I’m 29, I think of Durkee french fried onions and Campbell's mushroom soup as shameful skeletons in my closet next to my mug shot, ankle bracelet and love letters to Charles Manson. Oops. Did I say too much?



I know I need not expound upon the vegan, vegalicious virtues of these green and yellow beans, caramelized roasted peppers and garlic, and earthy shiitake mushrooms. They speak for themselves. In fact I hear the red, yellow and orange bell peppers are tri-lingual. And much tastier than that illiterate, white-trash green bean casserole. So why be a slave to tradition when you could be the master of your thighs, domain and discriminating palate? Well, at least the palate, anyway. Besides, I'd rather do my fat-loading elsewhere. Too bad I discovered I'm gluten- and egg-intolerant. But now's not the time to get maudlin—I have a blog post to finish.


The recipe, an encore presentation from an earlier post, was originally titled Roasted Green Beans, Peppers and Garlic. But as you can see, you may easily roast some shiitake (or cremini) mushrooms along with the other vegetables to add a deep, robust dimension. This year I'm thankful for the bounty of fresh food that surrounds me in fertile, farm-rich Southern California. What are you thankful for?

Related Links:

8 comments:

  1. I am thankful that every time you write a post you make me laugh, ponder, marvel and desire to eat healthier. Great job, Adair, keep up the brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being such a great supporter, Cathy! Happy Thanksgivukkah!

      Delete
  2. Your bean menorah is brilliant, as well as your post! I am totally with you on that "other" bean casserole! I'd rather have my nails trimmed by piranha that eat that dish!

    Btw, let me know when your 30th birthday is, as I wouldn't want to miss such a significant date! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina: I'll let you know when my big 3-0 bash is! :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice article, thanks for sharing the information
    shawandme

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learn new information from your article , you are doing a great job . Keep it up
    mylifeatkroger

    ReplyDelete
  5. To top everything, legitimate information on language structure and Get Your Assignment Done outstanding composing abilities are an absolute necessity to score mind blowing grades in the appraisals. To intrigue your teacher and want to do well in scholastics.

    ReplyDelete