Sunday, March 28, 2010

Black-Eyed Pea Hummus

All I am saying is give peas a chance.
There doesn't have to be sparring among the garbanzo bean and black-eyed pea camps. They're both hummus-worthy legumes. My out-of-the-blue idea for black-eyed pea hummus (not to be confused with Hamas who's not all that peas loving) came to me faster than a grenade on the west bank. So I opened my cupboard, channeled the spirit of Gandhi, and set out on my peas-keeping mission.

Garbanzo bean hummus has been a staple in my culinary repertoire for quite a while. I've also added ingredients like roasted garlic, red pepper, or artichokes for an extra kick. But here I simply substituted black-eyed peas for the garbanzo beans. It's a bit earthier, though very similar to the garbanzo version. The legumes seem to lose a little of their autonomy once the tahini and garlic try to claim the territory, so you might want to add the tahini incrementally and taste it before a full-blown occupation occurs. Make peas, not war, and then serve with my Cheater's Lavash Crackers (as shown).

Recipe

1 15 oz. can drained black-eyed peas (or garbanzos), reserving some liquid and about 1/4 of the legumes for later

2 small to medium cloves garlic, minced

3 TBSP sesame tahini

3 TBSP fresh lemon juice

1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)

Cumin to taste

Dash of cayenne

A little water, if needed

Paprika garnish (optional)

Place first four ingredients and spices in a food processor, and then purée. Add reserved peas for a textured hummus (if you want it smooth, purée all the peas). If too thick, add a little water or some of the reserved liquid until it's the consistency you like. Adjust spices. Sprinkle with a dash of paprika for coloring before serving. Hummus will keep for about a week in the fridge.

Serves about 4

3 comments:

  1. Interesting substitute - black eyed peas certainly have a distinct taste. I'll let you know if I try it. I have some dried BEPs in the pantry. Still have to try those crackers. I know those will be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I just tried making blacked-eyed pea hummus this morning, and now I've discovered your blog. I loved it. Did you have ful while you were in Turkey? You can also make black-eyed pea ful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting. I've never even heard of ful!

    ReplyDelete